Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year Babies


I know that I was strolling down memory lane, talking about some of the great weddings from 2008. But how can you start out the new year without talking about babies? After all, isn't the unofficial symbol of the new year a baby? They always report on the first baby of the year, but never the last. Interesting, but I digress.

One of the more interesting aspects of photography is taking pictures of pregnant women and young children. I'm sure that you've seen the standard hands on the belly or the hands forming a heart on the belly of a pregnant woman. These are often very beautiful images. However, there are many other artistic options as well.

Photographers are observers as well as authors of a sort. A photojournalist communicates what he or she sees through the images that he/she captures (okay, I guess I should have said that this is what I do, but lets hope that its universal).

There are so many different ways to view a pregnant woman or happy couple that I still find new inspirations. I believe that it is important for everyone to have a pregnancy portrait. There are a number of memories in our lives. And the pending birth of a child is one of them. Most women don't really appreciate how beautiful they are when pregnant. And, unfortunately, most of us men fail to tell them how beautiful and special they are when they need to hear it the most. That's where the pictures come in. They are a permanent memory.

So, for all of the pregnant women out there, the soon to be pregnant, happily pregnant couples, etc. Get out there and have some pictures taken, or take your own. Find something to make your pictures unique to you and have fun taking them.

No comments: